Silver Turtles are one of the oldest camping dishes to make while camping. It’s fun, tastes great, fills you up and is easy to make. Cook your silver turtles over an open campfire, grill or even at home in your oven.
Things you’ll need in order to make your Silver Turtles:
- Heavy duty aluminum foil – 12 inch by 18 inch
- Meat – any hamburger, pork or chicken will work
- Knife – make sure it’s clean
- Cooking spray
- Vegetables (carrots, potatoes, onions, green peppers, corn, etc)
- Seasonings (salt, pepper, butter, ketchup, mustard, onion soup mix, Worcestershire sauce, etc)
- Water – 1 teaspoon
- Campfire, grill or oven – either one will work
- Slice your vegetables into half-inch thick slices. If you have any other favorites, you can use them as well for your silver turtles. Squash is a popular alternative.
- Spray aluminum foil with cooking spray. Break up meat into one inch pieces and place on aluminum foil.
- Place vegetables on top of meat.
- Add your seasonings such as onion soup mix, salt, pepper, etc. The list can go on. Tabasco is a favorite.
- Add a teaspoon of water for moisture.
- Fold aluminum foil so it is tightly sealed.
- Place over the campfire coals, on a grill rack or in your home oven (375 degrees). Cook for 35 – 45 minutes.